Cano Abad, María
MARÍA FRANCISCA CANO ABAD, PhD
Lecturer of Pharmacology
Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria, Hospital de la Princesa
Instituto Teófilo Hernando for Drug Discovery, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
1. Calcium signaling.
2. Neurodegenerative diseases, screening of neuroprotectant compounds.
In the past ten years, I focused on the regulation of the calcium channel named CALHM1 “Calcium Homeostasis Modulator 1”. First, CALHM1 was involved as a risk factor in Alzheimer disease; however, its role on the pathophysiology of this disease is controversial, and upon revision. From its physiological point of view, CALHM1 play a role in the taste pathway of the sweet, salt and humani. In addition, it is a voltage dependent channel that its opening regulates the neuronal action potential. For this reason my work hypothesis in which I am working on, is to clarify whether CALHM1 its implicated on the propagation of neuronal death in the stroke. Pharmacology of CALHM1 with potential therapeutic application in neurodegenerative diseases and stroke. In 2015, I published a paper showing that a compound called CGP was able to modulate CALHM1, using the HeLa cells as a model. CGP and its derivate could be a potential neuroprotective compounds and with potential therapeutic applications to neurodegenerative diseases (particularly Alzheimer´s disease) and cerebrovascular diseases (stroke). Research focus. I would focus the basic research on the understanding of the role of CALHM1 and the mitochondrial sodium/calcium exchanger in ischemia and neurodegenerative diseases. In addition, I will try to develop newly synthesized compounds as neuroprotective medicines for Alzheimer´s disease and ischemia, taking as model the mitochondrial sodium/calcium estranger as a goal for neuroprotection.
SELECTION OF PUBLICATIONS
1. De Los Rios C, Cano-Abad MF, Villarroya M, López MG. Chromaffin cells as a model to evaluate mechanisms of cell death and neuroprotective compounds. Pflugers Arch. 2018. 470(1):187-198.
2. Martin-de-Saavedra MD, Navarro E, Moreno-Ortega AJ, Cunha MP, Buendia I, Hernansanz-Agustín P, León R, Cano-Abad MF, Martínez-Ruiz A, Martínez-Murillo R, Duchen MR, López MG. The APPswe/PS1A246E mutations in an astrocytic cell line leads to increased vulnerability to oxygen and glucose deprivation, Ca(2+) dysregulation, and mitochondrial abnormalities. J Neurochem. 2018. 145(2):170-182.
3. Moreno-Ortega AJ, Al-Achbili LM, Alonso E, de Los Ríos C, García AG, Ruiz-Nuño A, Cano-Abad MF. Neuroprotective Effect of the Novel Compound ITH33/IQM9.21 Against Oxidative Stress and Na(+) and Ca(2+) Overload in Motor Neuron-like NSC-34 Cells. Neurotox Res. 2016; 3:380-91.
4. Mouhid Al-Achbili L, Moreno-Ortega AJ, Matías-Guiu J, Cano-Abad MF, Ruiz-Nuño A. ITH33/IQM9.21 provides neuroprotection in a novel ALS model based on TDP-43 and Na(+)/Ca(2+) overload induced by VTD. Neurosci Lett. 2016: 9:633:28-32.
5. Moreno-Ortega, A. J., Buendia I, Mouhid L, Egea J, Lucea S., Ruiz-Nuño A, López M. G and Cano-Abad MF. CALHM1 and its polymorphism P86L differentially control Ca2+ homeostasis, mitogen-activated protein kinase signalling and cell vulnerability upon amyloid beta exposure. Aging Cell. 14: 1094-1102. 2015.
6. Francisco J. Martínez-Sanz, Rocío Lajarín-Cuesta, Laura González-Lafuente, Ana J. Moreno-Ortegaa, Eva Punzón, María F. Cano-Abad, and Cristóbal de los Ríos. Neuroprotective profile of pyridothiazepines with blocking activity of the mitochondrial Na+/Ca2+ exchanger. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2016; 109: 114-23.
7. Francisco J. Martínez-Sanz, Rocío Lajarín-Cuesta, Ana J. Moreno-Ortega, Laura González-Lafuente, Jose C. Fernández-Morales, Raquel López-Arribas, María F. Cano-Abad, and Cristóbal de los Ríos. Benzothiazepine CGP37157 Analogues Exert Cytoprotection in Various in Vitro Models of Neurodegeneration. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2015. 6:1626-36
8. Moreno-Ortega AJ, Martínez-Sanz FJ, Lajarín-Cuesta R, de Los Rios C, Cano-Abad MF. Benzothiazepine CGP37157 and its 2′-isopropyl analogue modulate Ca(2+) entry through CALHM1. Neuropharmacology. 2015. 95:503
9. Guerra-Álvarez M, Moreno-Ortega AJ, Navarro E, Fernández-Morales JC, Egea J, López MG, Cano-Abad MF. Positive allosteric modulation of alpha-7 nicotinic receptors promotes cell death by inducing Ca(2+) release from the endoplasmic reticulum. J Neurochem. 2015. 133(3):309-19.
10. Martín-Sabroso C, Fraguas-Sánchez AI, Aparicio-Blanco J, Cano-Abad MF, Torres-Suárez AI. Critical attributes of formulation and of elaboration process of PLGA-protein microparticles. Int J Pharm. 2015. 480(1-2):27-36.
11. Martín-Sabroso C, Moreno-Ortega AJ, Aparicio-Blanco J, Fraguas-Sánchez AI, Cano-Abad MF, Torres-Suárez AI. Overcoming glucocorticoid resistances and improving antitumor therapies: lipid and polymers carriers. Pharm Res. 2015. 32(3):968-85.
12. Moreno-Ortega AJ, Ruiz-Nuño A, García AG, Cano-Abad MF. Mitochondria sense with different kinetics the calcium entering into HeLa cells through calcium channels CALHM1 and mutated P86L-CALHM1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010. 391: 722-26.
Research ID ORCID